Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Insomnia (feat. Bo Ramsey)

#99 in The Need To Know Badass Blues Instrumentals Series, Insomnia, features the midwestern mojo hand of, Bo Ramsey. Born and raised in Iowa and still living there today, Bo has been way around the block. As an artist, producer, and of course, guitarist, his affiliations are quite impressive; Joan Baez, Greg Brown, Pieta Brown, Iris DeMent, Ani DiFranco, Kevin Gordon, Elvis Costello and Lucinda Williams. Bo is all over the legendary Car Wheels on a Gravel Road album and was nominated for a Grammy for Producing Lucinda's follow-up album, Essence. I love the understated approach to Bo's playing as exhibited by this track. The first time I saw Bo play was at a Lucinda gig in Nashville shortly before Car Wheels was released. Everybody in the audience was hypnotized by the verb and tremolo soaked Bo mojo. I remember my buddy, who had taken me to see the show, tugging on my sleeve and pointing, saying, "Bo Ramsey". Well, I'm tugging on your sleeve now...

The backing band on this track is Rich Kirch (John Lee Hooker 1984-2001) on rhythm guitar, Alvino Bennett (Dave Mason, Stevie Wonder) on drums and myself on bass. The track was recorded at Skunkworks in Capitola CA. Mixed by the Grammy-winning Godfather of Grunge, Jack Endino (Nirvana, Nando Reis) and masterfully mastered by Alex McCollough at True East Mastering. 

No comments: