Saturday, November 28, 2020

Make Me (feat. Lachy Doley)

#78 in The Need To Know Badass Blues Instrumentals Series is Make Me, featuring the whammy clavinet wizardry of Lachy Doley. One late night, a few years back, I was venturing down a YouTube rabbit hole and I stumbled upon an absolutely mesmerizing live performance by the Lachy Doley Group. I immediately reached out via the miracle of the internet and in no time at all, we were making music. He asked if I wanted him to play B3 (organ) or whammy clavinet? I had never heard of whammy clavinet so of course, that's what I chose and that is what you are hearing on this track. Lachy is from Adelaide, Australia and as well as fronting the aforementioned Lachy Doley Group (including 2 charting LP's and an Australian Music Award), he has worked with Jimmy Barnes, Glenn Hughes, Joe Bonamassa and Powderfinger. What is whammy clavinet, you ask? Well, here's a good entrance to the rabbit hole: https://youtu.be/UpajvAc9MJk 

The backing band on this track is Rich Kirch (John Lee Hooker 1984-2001) on rhythm guitar, Alvino Bennett (Dave Mason, Stevie Wonder) on drums and myself on bass. The track was recorded at Skunkworks in Capitola CA with additional tracking in Adelaide, AU. Mixing and Mastering duties were handled by the infamous F-Bomb. 

No comments: